St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized with 23 families in April of 1949. The first formal worship service was held at the Palace Theater with the construction of our first church building in 1950. The present church was dedicated in 1957 and additional buildings have been added since that time to address our educational and office needs. The St. Luke's church family has grown to over 1,900 baptized members.
God has truly blessed St. Luke's with many fine people of faith answering God's call to serve at St. Luke's in the positions of pastor, vicar and Director of Christian Education. These God-appointed shepherds of our flock have preached, counseled, led, taught and encouraged us. Two men stand out from the others due to their long time service to their Lord at St. Luke's - our first pastor, Rev. Leonard F. Schneider who was installed in 1949 and served until his death in 1970 and Rev. Timothy Wenger who served at St. Luke's from 1971 until retirement from his full-time call in August 2011. Our current staff of two full time pastors and a Director of Christian Education and Family Ministry are assisted by additional part-time staff.
The Lord has indeed blessed St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church.
All glory to Him be given!
Christian Education agencies of St. Luke’s have been a strong force throughout its history. Sunday School and Vacation Bible School have served our children and reached out to the community throughout the years. In 1971, St. Luke’s Preschool/4K was established and has been an active part of early Christian education. It involves many community families. Bible Study opportunities have been a long term part of St. Luke’s with continued emphasis to involve more youth and adults in regular study of God’s Word.
Youth groups have varied in size and emphasis but have always been an important part of the ministry to this age group. Currently we have three active groups: Christian Youth Circle (CYC) for 4-6 grades, Baptized in Christ (BIC) group serves 7-8th graders, St. Luke’s Youth (SLY) group serves 9-12th graders.
Women’s Ministry of St. Luke’s is the overall organization for women which is affiliated with Lutheran Women’s Missionary League and the organization of our eleven circles. *Senior Women* meet monthly for a meal and fellowship, supporting each other with love, understanding and encouragement.
Two men’s groups are currently active in ministry – M.I.L.L. (Men of Integrity Living for the Lord) and Veterans of the Cross.
The St. Luke's Choir has been an active choir spanning many years of history. They enhance our worship and have presented several cantatas in recent years. Glory Ringers, the hand bell choir, also provide praise in music and song on a scheduled basis throughout the year. Several praise band groups have been established to lead the Praise and Worship services – a more contemporary style of worship held each Wednesday evening. We are blessed to have many instrumentalists, soloists and two quartets who share their talents and love of music in our worship setting as well.
Our congregation is organized into eight ministries which report to the Church Council and Congregation. The ministries help develop events, programs, and strategies which seek to meet the needs of mission and ministry. The eight ministries are: Christian Education, Discipleship, Evangelism, Missions, Property Care, Social Concerns, Worship, and Youth.
We hope that our second name “Evangelical” is always a part of our faithful witness to Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, and that we will focus on carrying out the “Great Commission”, bringing Christ to all the nations as our mission statement continues to be:
"We at St. Luke's dedicate ourselves to grow in faith and love, to serve together, and to reach out with the Gospel of Jesus Christ."